Wanting to encourage our members to explore new opportunities and expand their experience, the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh is excited to offer “Grow in Fiber” Grants. Whether members consider themselves a novice or professional, current members are invited to apply for this developmental grant. This is a fiber focused grant opportunity for artists from various backgrounds and genres; you don’t need to be a fiber artist, but the grant proposal must be fiber focused. This can include artists exploring fiber for the first time.
Funding can be used for a variety of growth opportunities. Expanding your maker business, covering exhibition framing costs, taking a class, trying a new technique, attending a conference, buying equipment or materials, professional development, community outreach, help with exhibition entry costs, etc. The main goal of this grant is to help you grow as an artist/maker; emphasis will be given to this goal when scoring the application.
A primary outcome of this grant will be for the recipient to share their project with the fiber arts community. Examples include: offering a demonstration, giving a lecture, sharing newly learned resources, helping other members with the application process, etc.
We will be awarding two grants per calendar year in the amount of $500 each.
This grant is open to Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh members both in and out of the area. If not a member, applicants need to become FGP members if selected. (Not a member? Learn about our member benefits and how to join. https://fiberartspgh.org/membership/).
FGP Board members, grant committee members, and staff cannot apply while in office or employed by the organization. Grantees may not re-apply for a grant in two consecutive calendar years and may not receive more than a total of two Grow in Fiber grants.
The Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh values and welcomes members of all races, ethnicities, cultures, national origins, economic status, ages, abilities, religious faiths, sexual orientations, gender identity, or gender expression.
The Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh is committed to better serving our members and the wider community by celebrating cross cultural intersections among fiber artists and makers. As an organization, we support fundamental human rights: diversity, equity and inclusion and pledge to continue to build efforts that reflect these values in our mission driven activities.
Please let us know if you need assistance in completing this application.
- Launch – January
- Deadline for Applications -Mid-march (March 13, 2023)
- Award Notification- May 23, 2023
- The Grow In Fiber grant does not fund completed projects and does not reimburse money already spent on a project.
- We ask recipients to share their project with the fiber arts community. When possible, please take images of your project.
Application Process and Requirements
- Complete and submit the application form available on FGP’s website. https://fiberartspgh.org/grow-in-fiber/
The application must include:
- Description of your project. Description on how you will share back with the community once completed.
- Budget. Please tell us if this grant will only cover a portion of your project, will you still be able to complete it in case of not being able to acquire the rest of the funding. (https://www.thefield.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Preparing-a-Budget-Template.pdf))
- Samples of your Creative work. (link to a website, social media or online folder, jpg, pdf, video, etc.)
- The application form must be submitted by 11:59 pm PT on the deadline date.
- The Committee requires two months for review of applications and notification of awardees.
- Payment will be mailed 30 days after selection of grantees.
- Within six months of receiving the award, a brief progress report outlining how the award funds were used must be sent to the FGP Grant committee. (For example a paragraph and a few pictures if possible)
- The community presentation must be completed within two years of receiving the award.
2022-23 Grant recipients
Ronna Chang – http://ottofinn.com – https://www.instagram.com/ottofinn/ – https://www.facebook.com/ottofinn/
Stefanie Zito – https://www.stefaniezito.com/ – https://www.instagram.com/_stefaniezito_studio/