Where: Irma Freeman Center for Imagination located 5006 Penn Ave • Pittsburgh 15224
When: May 7 – May 23, 2021
Exhibition co-chairs: Jeanette McCabe and Coleen Rush – contact them at exhibitionsFGP@gmail.com
Juror: Bruce Hoffman
Deadline for entry: March 10, 2021
In light of everything that has taken place in our country and the world in 2020, this exhibit will explore the roads toward redemption and possibilities. How does one adapt in a world where our old “normal” has changed to a new “normal”? How does one cope and persist, transforming that which is difficult, challenging, and uncertain into something positive and promising?
How do we tap into our creativity when worries and fears block it? What is our personal story, what does it look like, and how does it relate to everything going on around us? Where do we see the story taking us, and where will our journey go?
Juror: Bruce Hoffman
Bruce Hoffman is Director of Gravers Lane Gallery in Philadelphia. He has been working in the field of studio crafts for more than three decades. During these years he has taught at Moore College of Art and Design, lectured and been a guest critic for many colleges, and has had the honor to jury shows for many fine museums, guilds, and art centers across the country.
Fiber and textile-centric art has been a main focus. Along with five friends, Bruce created and curated Fiber Philadelphia 2012. This four-month event showcased 61exhibits of fiber throughout the city. Bruce has a historical understanding of studio crafts as well as an appreciation of artists’ work and process. This guides his curatorial choices while enjoying the visceral delight of material, color, form, and texture.
- Exhibition Dates: May 7 – May 23, 2021 – Gallery hours: TBD
- Entry deadline: March 10, 2021
- Notification: April 6, 2021 (via email)
- Receipt of shipped work: April 30, 2021
For shipping information contact: email@example.com
- Artwork drop-off: May 2 / 1pm – 4pm Irma Freeman Center for Imagination
- Family and Friends Opening: May 6 / 4, 2021 – 7pm
- First Friday opening: May 7, 2021 / 6:30 – 9:30pm
- Artist talk and art pickup: May 23, 2021 / 1 – 5pm
- Current Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh Members may enter.
- All work must be either fiber in content or executed in a fiber technique.
- Work must be original and completed in the last year. Also, work cannot have been exhibited within a 50-mile radius of Pittsburgh.
- Entries must be ready to securely hang or install.
- Work that is 3 dimensional can be secured to the wall or displayed on pedestals. Pedestals will be temporarily moved during gallery community events. All best efforts will be made to keep works safe.
- No floor space is available for installations due to community use of the center.
- Work will be selected from digital image submissions.
- Selection will be based on the overall quality of the work and its compliance with the entry requirements. Accepted work will be subject to final approval by the juror’s representative. Work, which differs significantly from the image representing it, will not be included.
- An artist’s statement (approx. 100 words) will be requested from accepted artists for inclusion in the catalog.
- Artists may submit up to three works, represented by two images: one full view and one detail. (For sculptural work, please provide an additional full view.)
- Framed artwork must include the frame in the digital image.
- Work framed under glass must be photographed without glass, but noted that it will be displayed with glass.
- Submitted JPG images must be properly lighted, focused, on a neutral background, and show the edge of the artwork. High quality, high resolution digital images should be at least 2000 pixels on the longest side and must be under 3MB.
- Filename for each JPG must be as follows: artist’s last name and first initial, entry number (1, 2, 3), keyword(s) from title (1or 2 words only) and view (full or detail) for each image.
Submission and Fees
- Submissions will be accepted through the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh website: https://fiberarts.org/categories/exhibitions until the deadline of March 10, 2021.
- $30 non-refundable entry fee for up to three entries.
- PayPal is available on our website, or make check payable to the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh and send to:
Fiberarts Guild – Treasurer
P.O. Box 9211
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
- Keep in mind when pricing your artwork, the gallery is not collecting a commission on sold artwork.
Work will be insured while on exhibit. A condition report must be completed by each artist for each piece of work exhibited.