Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh 2017 membership exhibition.
Pittsburgh Center for the Arts • 6300 Fifth Ave., Pittsburgh PA 15232
August 11 – October 29, 2017
Gallery Hours: Tuesday – Saturday 10 – 5 Sunday 12 – 4
Consider blue. Is it a color, a state of mind, or does it represent a place and time in history for you? We live on a blue planet; blue represents national and political identity; it symbolizes trust, loyalty, confidence and the heavens; blue is associated with harmony but also represents the human emotion of sadness and melancholy. How do you relate? Where is blue represented in your life?
Ruth Snyderman, arts advocate, juror, speaker, collector, and community organizer, lives in Philadelphia. Snyderman was the founder of The Works Gallery in 1965, after 45 years it has merged with The Snyderman Gallery to form the Snyderman-Works Galleries in the old city neighborhood. in 1970, Ruth was an active founder of The South Street renaissance, stimulating the growth of the arts on South Street in Philly. Ruth has served on the board of The Clay Studio and Collab (connected with the Philadelphia Museum of Art), and is presently on the board of the Watershed Ceramic Center and The Painted bride Art Center. Ruth holds a business degree from Temple university but has always been interested in art. The gallery stimulates her creative interests, as well as dance performances and ethnic music concerts.
- Exhibition duration: August 11 – October 29, 2017
- Entry deadline: May 8, 2017
- Notification: June 3, 2017 (via email)
- Deadline for receipt of shipped work: July 29. For shipping details, contact Jeanette McCabe: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Artwork drop-off: July 30; 1 – 4 pm at Pittsburgh Center for the Arts – 6300 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232
- Gallery hours: Tuesday – Saturday 10 – 5 Sunday 12 – 4
- Opening reception: Friday August 11; 5.30 – 9pm
- Artists’ talk and pick up of artwork: Sunday October 29; 1-4pm
Artists must pick up their artwork (or arrange for pick-up) before 4pm on October 29. Artwork not picked up will be placed in storage at the artist’s risk and expense. A $25 per day storage fee will be assessed. After 30 days, artwork will become the property of PF/PCA.
Enter online by midnight May 8, 2017
Anyone is welcome to enter. Non Fiberarts Guild Members must live within 150 miles of Pittsburgh* and will be requiredto join the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh if accepted. All current Fiberarts Guild Members may enter, regardless of location.Membership in the Fiberarts Guild is open to anyone.
* This is an exhibition requirement of the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts.
- All work must be either fiber in content or executed in a fiber technique.
- Work must be original and completed in the last two years.
- Work cannot have been exhibited in a previous FGP member exhibition or within a 50-mile radius of Pittsburgh.
- Entries must be ready to securely hang or install.
- Installations should be submitted by proposal or by image.
- Work will be selected from digital image submissions.
- Selection will be based on the overall quality of the work and its compliance with the entry requirements. Accepted work will be subject to final approval by the juror’s representative. Work, which differs significantly from the image representing it, will not be included.
- An artist’s statement (aprox. 100 words) will be requested from accepted artists for inclusion in the catalog.
- Artists may submit up to three works, represented by two images: one full view and one detail.
- Framed artwork must include the frame in the digital image.
- Work framed under glass must be photographed without glass, but noted that it will be displayed with glass.
- Submitted JPG images must be properly lighted, focused, on a neutral background, and show the edge of the artwork. High quality, high-resolution digital images should be at least 2000 pixels on the longest side and must be under 3Mb.
- Filename for each JPG must be as follows: artist’s last name and first initial, entry number (1, 2, or 3), keyword(s) from title (1 or 2 words only), and view (full or detail) for each image.
jones_m_1_bluecircle_full.jpg • jones_m_1_bluecircle_detail.jg
Submission and fees:
- Submissions will be accepted through the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh website https://fiberartspgh.org/blue/ until the deadline of May 8, 2017.
- $25 non-refundable entry fee for up to 3 entries.
- Paypal is available on our website, or make check payable to the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh and send to our Treasurer:
230 Beverly rd., Apt. 620
Pittsburgh PA 15216
- Commission on sales: 55% to the artist and 45% to the PCA.
Work will be insured while on exhibit at PF/PCA. A Condition report must be completed by each artist for each piece of work exhibited.